SERVICES | OUR PREVIOUS CASES
IN SOLVING YOUR
STRATEGIC MARKET ACCESS PLANNING & SUPPORT FOR HIGH TECH APP DEVELOPER
US Application Developer MNC
Although the company was relatively new in Asia and had limited in-house technical capacity for planning of its international trade operations, it nonetheless had ambitious expansion plans in a one-year time period to develop an application which involved having to import and export costly hi-tech equipment on a temporary basis across different countries in Asia. Due to the commercial sensitivities involved, the company preferred to have local subsidiaries that were able to lodge the customs declarations or temporary import declarations where locally available and apply for import/export licenses involved if any. The fact that the company mostly had neither its local subsidiaries in the respective Asian countries nor the necessary import/export licenses in place complicated the task at hand.
- Advised the client on the key relevant aspects of the local trade and customs environments of individual countries based on the client’s envisaged business model and activities, which included customs registration and declaration processes, import/export licensing regimes, applicability of any local trade facilitation programs such as temporary import programs and ATA Carnets, local business practices.
- Facilitate discussions with local relevant authorities such as Customs to clarify ambiguous aspects pertaining to the company’s envisaged business models in order to achieve favourable conclusions for the company where possible.
- Brainstormed the next steps with companies to strategise the easiest method for them to gain market access in the respective Asian countries.
Benefits to company:
- The company was able to set up its international supply chain and scale up relatively quickly for its business model and activities in each of the Asian countries involved.
- As a by-product of the project, the company was also able to put together an internal work process to ensure its compliance with the respective trade and customs regulations in each Asian country.